There are three levels of teachers: Assistant Teachers, Teachers of Parts 1-3, and Teachers of 1-5. There are more than a hundred authorized teachers scattered around the globe who have taken the Shambhala Art Teacher Trainings and went on to teach. Please see below for downloadable lists of the various groups of teachers. For information on local programs, please see our Schedule page or contact a local Shambhala Meditation Center. To inquire if there is an active teacher in your geographical area please e-mail: firstthought[AT]shambhalaart[DOT]org. Note: When emailing, please replace the AT with @ and DOT with a .
Graduates from some of the earlier Shambhala Art Teachers Trainings (See below for Teacher Training prerequisites):
Assistant teachers are encouraged to offer and facilitate a study group or class based on the reading list for the program which is centered on Vol. 7 of “The Collected Works of Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche” or “True Perception,” by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche. A study group/class would involve participants reading the material, such as a chapter or two, in advance and then discussing it in a salon like format. The Assistant Teacher, or teachers, should facilitate the discussion rather than ‘teach’ the material. Exercises that are commonly used in the program are not be offered in a study group/class facilitated by an Assistant Teacher. During a program, assistant teachers assist the teacher, coordinate the program, and ideally present at least one brief talk and or exercise. The minimum requirement to be an assistant teacher is to attend a Shambhala Art Teachers’ Training for Parts 1-3, be a member of a Shambhala Center, have completed a Weekthun (a week long meditation at a Shambhala Center, have an ongoing meditation practice, and a personal connection to the arts and an art practice of some kind.
Teachers of parts 1-3, in addition to the responsibilities of an Assistant Teacher, are authorized to present (team teach) parts one through three. They may also offer classes based on the reading list, with the additional possibility of capping of a series of classes with a one day intensive program that would be the equivalent of a part. In addition to meeting the requirements for an Assistant Teacher, a Teacher of Parts 1-3 must also complete a Dathun (month long meditation at a Shambhala Center), and if they are not already an experienced teacher, must serve an apprenticeship. They are also must have completed Shambhala’s Enlightened Society Assembly (ESA) (formerly Sutrayana and Mahayana Seminary). In addition they must also be on the path to becoming a Shambhala Meditation Guide. (See below for current prerequisites for attending a Shambhala Art Teachers Training for Parts 1-3.)
Teachers of parts 1-5, in addition to the above, are required to have completed Shambhala’s Sacred World Assembly (SWA) (formerly Vajrayana Seminary). They must either be or become Shambhala Meditation Guides or Meditation Instructors by 2017. They are also required to have taught Parts 1-3 before teaching 4-5.
Current Prerequisites for attending a Shambhala Art Teachers Training for Parts 1-3 (Offered biennially in Los Angeles and occasionally in other locations):
- Member of a Shambhala Center.
- Completion of the 5 Part Shambhala Art Program.
- Some teaching experience.
- A letter of recommendation from a Meditation Instructor, Center Director, Shastri, Shambhala Training Director, or Head of Practice and Education at your center.
- Have an ongoing art practice/creative process discipline.
- For authorization as an Assistant Teacher, in addition to the above, completion of a Weekthun (7 day meditation at a Shambhala Center.) Completion of a Shambhala Art Teachers Training for Parts 1-3. For authorization as a Teacher of Parts 1-3, in addition to the above, completion a Dathun (a month-long meditation at a Shambhala Center) and Enlightened Society Assembly (formally Sutrayana Seminary). On the path to becoming a Shambhala Meditation Guide. Completion of a Shambhala Art Teachers Training for Parts 1-3. For authorization as Teacher of Parts 1-5, in addition to the above requirements, completion of Sacred World Assembly (formerly Vajrayana Seminary). On the path to becoming a Shambhala Meditation Instructor. Completion of a Shambhala Art Teachers Training for Parts 4-5